Braised beef shanks. This Braised Beef Shank is a dish that we've posted before, but we have an updated recipe for you today, plus a lot more tips and tricks to make sure it comes out right and that you're maximizing the. Check out this Braised Beef Shanks recipe from Lake Geneva Country Meats. Beef shanks are one of the most underrated cuts of beef in our book.
Braised Beef Shanks with Coconut Milk, Ginger and Cumin. Dredge shanks in flour, turning to coat. Skim off and discard fat from. You can cook Braised beef shanks using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Braised beef shanks
- It’s 2 of bone-in beef shanks.
- It’s 1 head of garlic, unpeeled and halved along it's equator.
- Prepare 2 sticks of celery, cut into large chunks.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot, cut into large chunks.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 handful of thyme sprigs.
- You need 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 of carrots, sliced 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of sherry.
- You need 1 cup of beef stock.
- Prepare 2 of medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 in slices.
- It’s 1 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- You need 1 handful of green beans, halved.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of capers.
- You need 1 of heap tsp constarch.
Braised beef shanks are an easy cold weather meal. [Photographs: Daniel Gritzer]. Hefty beef shanks are braised in an ample amount of red wine with carrots and onions until the meat is tender. Traditional and incredible Chinese braised beef shank with master stock (卤牛肉). It is typically served as a cold appetizer.
Braised beef shanks step by step
- Season the shanks liberally with salt and sear them with a little veg oil in a large pot on high heat. Once the shanks are browned on both sides, add enough cold water to cover. Add the halved head of garlic, celery, carrot, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and peppercorns. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Skim any pooled fat and gunk from the surface occasionally..
- Remove the shanks and set them aside to cool. Strain the braising liquid thorough a sieve lined with a coffee filter..
- Add the butter to a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and sliced carrots and fry 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and chopped garlic and continue cooking another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the sherry and let simmer until about 3/4 of the sherry has boiled off..
- Strip the meat and any marrow off the shanks and add it to the pot along with the strained braising liquid, beef stock, potatoes, rosemary and thyme. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans and capers and simmer for 5 minutes more..
- Make a slurry by adding a splash of water to a bowl and adding the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Whisk the slurry into the pot and let the stew simmer for a final 5 minutes. Add any extra salt and pepper as needed before serving..
But it is quite delicious warm. We can easily change this into a yummy hot noodle. Make this delicious Pressure Cooker Chinese Braised Beef Shank Recipe with homemade Chinese Master Stock 滷水汁! Put the beef shank and marinade ingredients into a Zip-Lock bag or food container, seal it, shake well and place in a fridge for one day. A favorite Taiwanese cold appetizer, this braised beef shank recipe is perfect as a side dish as well.