Beef and onion stew. The key to this recipe is the long cooking time, which brings together the tastes of the beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. (I'm told that by adjusting the amount of water, this works well in a slow cooker or crock pot – see note below the recipe.) Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group. Try this Beef and Onion Stew recipe, or contribute your own. Hachee is a traditional beef and onion stew found in virtually every Dutch home.
Beef StewAlaska From Scratch. beef stew, beef, onion, rosemary, red potatoes. Easy recipe for delicious Beef And Onion Stir Fry. With oyster sauce for added flavour. You can have Beef and onion stew using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef and onion stew
- It’s 750 g of chuck blade, trimmed and cut into 2 in cubes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 4 of large onions, sliced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of brandy.
- It’s 2 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 3 of waxy white potatoes, cut into 1 in cubes.
- It’s 1/2 lb of button mushrooms, sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- It’s 10 sprigs of thyme, tied together with kitchen string.
- It’s 1 of carrot, peeled and sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
This recipe is an excellent use for leftover beef. Though there are several variations possible for a Miroton (mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic), the Preferably, the leftover beef will be from a pot-au-few which has been tenderized by long poaching, but roast beef can work as well. Tomatoes and rich beef broth give this hearty beef stew a flavorful base. Toss in pearl onions, sweet potatoes, celery and carrots, and wait for the colors and aroma Also, buying stew meat in bulk can be inexpensive and is great to have on hand, so you can quickly prepare a stew.
Beef and onion stew instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the pot. Fry the beef until it's evenly browned..
- Add enough cold water to the pot to cover the meat. Put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 2 hours until the beef is tender. Add additional water as needed during cooking to keep the beef submerged..
- Carefully transfer the meat and cooking liquid into a large bowl. Add the butter to the pot and put it back on the stove on high heat. Add the onions and fry them until they're a deep, dark brown. Watch that they don't burn and scorch the bottom of the pot. Add the brandy to the pot and deglaze 2 minutes or so until most of the brandy has cooked off..
- Skim the oil from the top of the beef cooking liquid, then pour the liquid into the pot of caramelized onions. Add the stock, potatoes, mushrooms and thyme. Cover and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are about halfway cooked. Add the carrots. Simmer another 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the carrots are tender but not mushy..
- Fish the thyme from the pot. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Whisk it into the stew. Let simmer 5 minutes uncovered then serve with a big loaf of bread..
Preferably, the leftover beef will be from a pot-au-few that has been tenderized by long poaching, but roast beef can work as well. It will just need more baking time. Make sure the beef is chilled for easy slicing. Then, slice as thinly as possible. Known across the United States as Goulash, Pörkölt is a Hungarian Beef and Onion Stew seasoned generously with paprika.